When you think of automatic street lighting operation, the first thing that generally springs to mind is a system that operates without human involvement. Even if you are not far off the mark that what is automatic street light, don’t worry you’ll get to know it soon. In the following article, we’ll discuss uses of automatic street light in detail for more precise knowledge about the evolving technology in the field of street lights.
What is Automatic Street Light? What is the Aim of Automatic Street Light?
An automated street lighting system is meant to turn on the street lights alongside the roads (or paths) or the light lamp immediately outside your house when the weather turns dark or at nightfall and turn them off automatically when the sun comes up or throughout the day.
This technology would help to reduce electricity usage while also saving from unprecedented accidents, increasing pedestrian safety, and preventing mishaps.
Streetlights are so common that most of us are unaware of them. The only thing we know for certain about streetlights is that they illuminate the streets continuously at night and are turned off during the day. However, the typical lighting system that we are all accustomed to has limitations: manually switching lights on and off, a lack of segmented operation, high operational expenses, reliance on residents to detect grid failures, and delayed repairs. The aim of automatic street light control is a simple but effective approach that eliminates all of these constraints. Well, learning what is automatic street light as well as the aim of automatic street light was an important step before learning about the major uses of automatic street light.
Where are Automatic Street Lights Used? What are the 5 Major Uses of Automatic Street Light?
Worldwide, automatic solar street lighting systems are becoming increasingly popular. But where are automatic street lights used? These are low-cost, long-lasting, and environmentally beneficial options for street lighting as a result of their useful qualities, they are used in a variety of contexts.
When compared to manually performed street light controlling activities, automation operation of street light controlling systems helps to reduce energy usage. This is due to a delay in the earlier switching processes both in the morning and in the evening. The major uses of automatic street light can be seen in:
1. Government Units and Municipalities
Municipalities and other governmental entities can save significant sums of money by switching to an autonomous solar street light system for their outdoor lighting needs. By 2026, it’s expected that there will be 359 million street lights in use around the world.
2. Excellent Way to Illuminate Streets
Automatic solar street lights coupled with closed-circuit television can do more than just illuminate the streets; they can also give us peace of mind. One of the solutions to the problem of inadequate street illumination is the use of wireless smart solar street lights.
3. Corporations and Large Businesses
Many organizations today are using green energy technologies and practices in an effort to lessen their impact on the environment. A potential first step in this direction is the installation of an automated street lighting system.
4. Along Roads and Highways
In the vicinity of roads and highways, automatic street lighting systems of high quality can greatly improve night-time visibility on both rural roads and main roads and highways. These are also incredibly user-friendly and cheap.
5. Parks & Recreational Areas
Automatic Street lighting systems are useful in parks and other recreational areas frequented by children. They are reliable and trustworthy, and they light up parks with just the perfect amount of illumination while maintaining a consistent lighting scheme.
Also Read: All About Fuel Cell Advantages
What are the Advantages of Automatic Street Light?
The uses of automatic street light are on the rise. To save energy, automatic streetlights can be set to turn on and off at specific times of the day or to activate in response to motion detection. The advantages of automatic street light include:
1. The potential for overheating is reduced in an automatic street lighting working system.
2. The cost of maintaining automatic solar street lighting is quite low compared to traditional street lights.
3. Automatic solar-powered streetlights help cut down on pollution by minimizing energy use.
4. Energy utilization in the city as a whole can be cut down considerably by switching to automatic street lights.
5. Assuming that a city observes standard day-and-night hours, street lights can be routinely operated at certain times.
6. LED bulbs, light sensors, and motion sensors all contribute to reducing energy use. Automatic street lights will help us save a significant amount of money each year. In terms of both money and time saved, automatic street lights are the clear winner. In addition, they use less power.
Also See: 7 Advantages of Smart Bulbs Over Regular LED Bulbs
What are the Disadvantages of Automatic Street Light?
At night, having lights that turn on and off automatically is helpful for both cars and pedestrians. Nonetheless, you should evaluate the potential drawbacks of the uses of automatic street light before making up your mind. The disadvantages of automatic street light are-
1. The initial cost of an automatic street lighting system is more than that of a traditional one.
2. Solar-powered, automatically-operated streetlights are completely reliant on the climate for energy production.
3. There is a great possibility of theft of solar-powered automatic street lights because they are not wired and are quite expensive.
4. Automatic Street lights that run on solar power have rechargeable batteries that need to be replaced at regular intervals.
5. When snow, dust, or moisture settles on a PV panel, it might reduce the panel’s ability to generate electricity. Therefore, in the case of solar-powered automatic street lights, it is necessary to clean panels on a regular basis.
6. If there are problems with the sensors, the lights may not turn on or may stay on for an extended amount of time, wasting energy.
Also See: 5 Disadvantages of Solar Water Pumping Systems
What is the Future of Solar-Powered Automatic Streetlights?
The future potential of autonomous solar street lights is quite promising due to the rapid development of science and technology. There are many facets of human existence that are influenced by the need for more power. Finding ways to preserve energy is not just necessary, but crucial, as we work to protect our limited resources from being depleted. Traditional street lights are notorious for wasting energy, but making the switch to an automatic smart system will help remedy this problem.
Recommended: 13 Common Problems With Solar Panels On Roofs