We can reduce the electricity bill of our house by installing solar panels, making it a long-term investment. Many cities in Texas have adopted this approach and the government also provides rebates and incentives to people for domestic solar installation. In this blog, we will discuss the Texas Solar Incentives 2023 in detail along with their solar programs.
Texas Solar Incentives
Texas has become the state that produces the most solar energy. It has made this record by producing around 17247 MW of energy so far. About 1.9 million houses can comfortably use this energy and because of this people have started to embrace solar energy. Now, let’s see in which ways Texas worked on its solar incentives.
Firstly, you need to keep in mind that it completely depends on the basis of your location, and the incentive you would be getting from the local government or from your utility company.
Let’s check out the following one-time Texas solar incentive programs.
|Local Texas Solar Incentive||Estimated Savings|
|Oncor Residential Solar Program||upto $9,000 per solar photovoltaic system|
|Austin Energy Solar PV Rebate and Incentives||upto $2,500 per solar photovoltaic system|
|AEP Texas SMART Source Solar PV Program||upto $3,000 per solar photovoltaic system|
|CenterPoint Energy Residential||around $225 per kW or $0.08 per kWh|
To claim local incentives, you must be aware that these programs are managed by different electric companies. Moreover, the eligibility requirements also differ based on location and time. So, you must contact the distinguished contractor to claim the right incentives.
Texas Solar Programs
In this section, we are going to know some more details about these special Texas solar programs.
1. Oncor Residential Solar Program
This program is for people working in Oncor. Areas like Dallas and Fort Worth come under this program. Under this program, homeowners get around $9000 incentive from the government to install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. This payment will be made by the government only once. There are some conditions for installing this panel like you will have to install a 3 to 15-kilowatt solar panel with battery.
You can also check out the Ontario Solar Panel Program.
2. Center Point Energy Residential Solar Program
This program has been made available for people working in Centre Point Energy. Many areas of Texas are covered under this program. Under this program, the government pays people $225 for every kilowatt or $0.08 kilowatt of solar energy generated. Under this program, you will have to work with a contractor to install solar panels. This incentive amount is given only once.
3. AEP Texas SMART Source Solar PV Program
This program is for people working at AEP Texas. Under this program, a $3000 incentive is available for installing solar PV systems at home. You will also have to install 30-kilowatt residential solar panels. This incentive amount is also paid only once.
4. Austin Energy Solar PV Rebate & Incentives
This program is made available to the City of Austin. Under this program, you get an incentive amount of $ 2500 from the government for installing a solar PV system in your house. Under this scheme, you will have to install at least 3 kilowatt solar panels in your house. Along with this, you will have to take a solar panel course. This incentive amount is also paid once.
These four programs are the best in Texas. All these programs have been started to provide financial assistance to homeowners so that they can easily install solar panels in their houses.
Also Read: Solar Incentives and Rebates in Canada
Free Solar Panels in Texas
There is no such thing as free solar panels in Texas, but there are several rebates offered by local government and utility companies that help reduce the cost significantly.
These rebates are decided upon several factors, including:
- How much do you earn?
- Where do you live?
- What type of solar panels do you want to use?
Once they find you eligible as per the criteria, you have to agree with a state-licensed solar energy company, and they will install solar panels at your house. Excess energy generated from your system will be fed back to the utility company which will convert it into credits that you can use for your grid power consumption.
In some cases, you lend your land to the utility companies to install panels, and then you are not the real owner of the system. You can use the power generated by the system and have the responsibility to maintain it. But the real ownership lies with the company.
Solar Panels in Texas Pros and Cons
This content will be incomplete if the pros and cons are not added. Here, we are going to pay attention to this and come up with some interesting points.
Pros of Solar Panels in Texas
- Due to the increasing demand for electricity, solar panels can be an excellent option to produce solar power and minimize environmental damage, while also providing financial benefits.
- Solar panels can work smoothly for more than a decade, providing long-term savings on your electricity bills.
- Reduces dependency on grid power as with battery backup paired with solar panel system you will not be affected by power outages.
- The resale value of your house will also rise.
Also See: Solar Panel Rebates in BC
Cons of Solar Panels in Texas
As far as the disadvantages of solar panels are concerned, the following are some.
- Solar panels systems require high initial investments, due to which, most people avoid buying them. However, the Texas government encourages people to install solar panels by giving subsidies and incentives.
- To install solar panels, you need enough space. If you have limited space, it can be challenging to install the solar setup, and it requires a location with ample sunlight.
- If the solar panel does not get proper sunlight, then there is a possibility of reduced output and you would need to rely on grid power.
- For a grid-free power experience, you need an efficient set of battery backups. Moreover, going fully off-grid may or may not be legal in some locations.
You can also take a look at the 10 Best Solar Buyback Plans in Texas.
Opting for Texas solar incentives means you can get financial assistance based on the eligibility criteria and make long-term savings. So, what are you waiting for? It is the right time to embrace the solar programs and claim rebates. For more solar content, keep scrolling through our website.