A solar panel or PV module is made up of several cells, and a solar array is made up of several solar panels that have been connected in series or parallel. Solar string inverters have an input for each string, which is made up of solar panels connected in sequence. A photovoltaic or PV array is created when two or more solar panels are connected. So, what is the difference between string and array in solar panel? Read the blog to learn about what is a string of solar panels and other related facts.
What is Difference Between String and Array in Solar Panel?
What is the difference between string and array in solar panel? Well, numerous cells make up a solar panel, or a PV module if more than one solar panel is connected in series or parallel. The structure is referred to as a solar array. Solar panels connected in succession and connected to a single input on a solar string inverter make up a string.
A photovoltaic or PV array is created when two or more solar panels are connected. The number of solar panels that can be connected to an inverter to get the greatest results is shown by the string sizing. The inverter voltage capability is one of many variables that affect output quality.
What is a String of Solar Panels?
Now that you have learned about the difference between string and array in solar panel, let us move forward and learn what is a string of solar panels. A panel string is a collection of panels that are connected to your power inverter’s singular input. The computations we perform to decide how many panels to connect to one input for maximum efficiency are known as string sizing. A panel string is a collection of solar panels connected to your inverter’s singular input.
Now, let’s understand this with the help of an example. For instance, this grid-tied setup consists of one SMA Sunny Boy 7700W inverter and 24 Mission Solar 360W panels. Three strings are input into the inverter, which is appropriately named a string inverter. Three strings of eight panels each are intended to be connected to those inputs by this method. (totaling 24 panels). Now, let’s also thoroughly see what is an array in solar panel.
What is an Array in Solar Panel?
So, what is an array in solar panel? Well, an array is a component of your solar system that is made up of several solar cells. Your family’s energy requirements and the location of your roof will determine the size of your solar setup. Solar panels are constructed from solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, which are the basis of a solar matrix.
Also Read: What is a Solar Array?
Why Does String Sizing Matter?
The operating range of an inverter refers to the variety of input voltages that it can accept. Your panel strings’ voltage output needs to be in that region. The inverter won’t be able to switch on if the panels don’t produce enough voltage. If too much voltage is provided, your inverter could be damaged and the warranty would be void. And, this is why string sizing matters.
What is Solar Panel String Calculator? How to Calculate Maximum String Size?
Now, let us learn what is a solar panel string calculator. The maximum string size is the greatest number of PV modules that can be linked in series while keeping the highest PV voltage lower than the inverter’s maximum permitted input voltage. This is regarded as a safety issue, and NEC 690.7(A) Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits address it. The following three approaches are the ways of a solar panel string calculator:
1. Correcting the PV module’s stated open-circuit voltage involves using the temperature coefficient for the module’s open-circuit voltage and the coldest anticipated ambient temperature. (The method used in this article).
2. Using the lowest anticipated ambient temperature and the correction variables from NEC Table 690.7 (A) for crystalline and multi-crystalline modules. The most cautious approach is this one.
3. Using an industry-standard technique supplied by a certified expert electrical engineer for PV systems 100 kWac or larger.
The Module Voc_max is computed using the site’s lowest anticipated ambient temperature at the time the modules would generate the highest predicted voltage using the first method permitted by the NEC.
Module VOCMAX=VOC x [1+(TMIN-TSTC)x(TkVOC/100)]
- Module Vocmax is the maximum module voltage adjusted for the lowest anticipated ambient temperature at the location [V].
- Voc is equal to the [V] module-rated open current voltage.
- Tmin is the site’s minimum anticipated temperature in degrees Celsius.
- T_STC stands for the temperature at 25 °C for normal test conditions.
- Tk_Voc is always written as a negative number and stands for module open current voltage temperature coefficient [%/°C]
Also Read: How to Calculate Solar Panel Wattage?
What is Solar Panel String Voltage?
Solar panel string voltages are important as it is necessary in order to calculate the string size. There are online voltage calculators, where you have to select your solar panel model, temperature range, and the number of panels in the string. To understand why calculating the string voltage is so important refer to the following points.
- The reliability and safety of a solar system that uses string solar inverters or solar charge controllers depend on the precise calculation of the string voltage.
- The performance of solar systems is impacted by the string voltage, which is greatly influenced by the operating temperature.
- Solar systems must function in a wide range of extreme weather and climatic conditions.
- The performance will be significantly reduced or, in the worst case, the inverter may be destroyed or even set on fire if the string voltage exceeds or falls below the working voltage of the MPPT, inverter, or other related equipment.
With this, you should have understood all things related to string and array in solar panels. Now, both of these terms won’t confuse you anymore.
Recommended: Longi solar Panels Vs Canadian Solar Panels