Grid tie inverters with limiters are crucial components in modern renewable energy systems. They play a pivotal role in optimizing power generation and ensuring efficient utilization of solar energy. In this article, we’ll see how a grid tie inverter with a limiter works. We will also list some of the best grid tie inverter with limiter available in the market.
Best Grid Tie Inverter With Limiter: How It Works
A grid-tie inverter with a limiter is a device used in solar power systems to efficiently manage energy production, consumption, and grid interaction. Here’s how a grid tie inverter with a limiter works:
1. Solar Power Generation: Solar panels produce direct current (DC) electricity from sunlight.
2. Grid-Tie Inverter (GTI): The working principle of this device states that it converts the DC electricity generated by the solar panels into alternating current (AC), which is used in homes and the grid.
3. Power Limiter: The limiter, also known as a current transformer, monitors the power consumption of your home or facility.
4. Monitoring Power Consumption: Continuously measuring your electricity usage, the limiter sets a limit on exported power.
5. Prioritizing Local Consumption: Solar power is prioritized for local use. Excess electricity not consumed is considered for export to the grid.
6. Exporting Excess Power: If your consumption is less than solar generation, the limiter ensures only surplus electricity is sent back to the utility grid.
7. Efficiency and Adjustment: The grid-tie inverter is highly efficient (typically around 94.8%) and adjusts its output to match load requirements.
8. Energy Storage: Surplus power can be stored in batteries if installed.
9. Sending Excess Power to the Grid: The limiter allows excess power to be sent to the grid, potentially resulting in credits or compensation.
10. Cost Savings: This system minimizes reliance on utility electricity, leading to lower bills and promoting renewable energy use.
Overall, a grid-tie inverter with a limiter optimizes solar energy utilization by efficiently managing power within your premises, storing excess energy, and sending only surplus power to the grid, saving you money and promoting renewable energy adoption.
Best Grid Tie Inverter With Limiter
After discovering how a grid tie inverter with a limiter works, you should go through this list of best grid tie inverters with a limiter.
1. Y&H 1000W Stackable Grid Tie Inverter with Power Limiter
The Y&H 1000W Grid Tie Inverter converts DC power generated by solar panels into AC power, connecting seamlessly to the grid and supplying the available panel power to the AC load. This Smart Micro inverter operates in sync and in phase with the utility grid, prioritizing the inverter’s power for household electrical devices. When the Solar Panel output is insufficient, and the GTI cannot provide all the required power, the Grid supplements the energy.
- It has a rated power of 1000W for peak usage and 900W for continuous operation.
- The DC input voltage range is between 22V and 60V.
- It tracks peak power at a voltage range of 26V to 54V.
- The AC output voltage can vary between 190V and 260V.
- The inverter starts feeding power to the grid at 26V.
- It operates within an AC output frequency range of 46Hz to 65Hz.
- This inverter is stackable, but this feature is applicable only for AC output.
- The output waveform generated by this inverter is pure sine wave.
2. Marsrock 2000W PV Grid Tie Inverter Power Limiter
This Marsrock inverter does not support battery charging in grid-tie mode. However, it can be configured to use a battery as the power source instead of solar panels, with automatic regulation of the battery’s remaining capacity.
The Limiter Sensor prevents excess current from flowing into the grid by limiting solar panel power generation. The inverter also includes high-temperature protection, automatically shutting down when the internal temperature reaches 75 degrees Celsius and restarting when it cools down to a safe range.
- The product has dimensions measuring 17 inches in length, 7.7 inches in width, and 3.5 inches in height.
- The item has a weight of 11.9 pounds.
- The inverter utilizes inner digital ICS and a low-power MCU design.
- It maintains low power consumption, even with multiple grid tie inverters in use, ensuring minimal impact on the entire system’s power consumption.
- Users have the capability to monitor real-time data, including solar DC input voltage, current, grid voltage, current frequency, and current limiting module data.
- This monitoring can be done through an optional WIFI app or PC.
- The feature offers real-time visibility into the system’s power generation status.
- It also allows for the storage and summarization of all power generation data through a computer platform.
Also See: 9 Best On Grid Solar Inverter In India
3. Y&H 1200W Grid Tie Inverter Power Limiter
The Y&H GTN-1200W Grid Tie Inverter is one of the best grid tie inverters with a limiter. It is designed to efficiently supply power precisely in line with your load requirements, preventing any excess electricity from being sent back to the grid. Beyond its standard PV power generation mode, it also features a battery energy storage grid tie power generation mode. During the daytime, solar panels generate electricity for household use, and any surplus power is intelligently stored in batteries. Even during nighttime hours, this inverter continues to function seamlessly. Moreover, you have the flexibility to set a battery low voltage threshold, allowing the inverter to cease operation when necessary, thereby enhancing the longevity of your battery system while ensuring optimal energy utilization.
- The package dimensions are 40 ×— 26 ×— 17 cm, and the inverter weighs 4.5kg.
- The PV no-load input voltage (Voc) for this inverter falls within the range of 55V to 90V.
- It has a maximum power point tracking (MPPT) tracking range of 44V to 70V.
- Recommended open circuit voltage (Voc) for solar panels is between 76V and 90V.
- Users can choose between two battery voltage options: 48V or 60V.
- The inverter allows for adjustable battery low voltage shutdown settings within a range of 44V to 69V.
- It also offers flexibility in setting the battery start voltage within the range of 46V to 70V.
- The maximum input protection current is 30A.
- The inverter is rated for an AC output power of 1200W.
- In battery mode, it provides a constant power output ranging from 80W to 800W.
- The battery limit mode allows a maximum output power of 800W.
- It delivers AC voltage output at 230V within a range of 180-260VAC.
- The AC frequency output can be set to either 50Hz or 60Hz.
- It is certified with CE (Conformit×© Europ×©ene) certification.
4. SMA Sunny Boy 5.0 5000W
The Sunny Boy offers a swift and convenient installation process due to its lightweight design, weighing only 17.5 kg, and its compact form that takes up minimal space. External connections enable quick setup, while intuitive commissioning and local monitoring can be effortlessly managed through a smartphone or tablet via its web interface, streamlining the installation and monitoring experience.
- Simple commissioning facilitated by the integrated WLAN and Speedwire interface.
- Enhanced transparency is provided through visualization in the Sunny Portal and Sunny Places platforms.
- Ensured investment security with SMA Smart Connected, which offers monitoring and proactive support.
- Integration with third-party providers is enabled through the Modbus interface.
- Reduction in purchased electricity and an uptick in self-consumption achieved by utilizing stored solar energy.
- Optimized energy utilization is made possible through forecast-based charging.
- Improved self-consumption via intelligent load control.
- Seamless integration of ripple control receivers through the SMA Power Limiter.
Now, let’s find out what is a zero export grid tie inverter and a hybrid grid tie inverter with a limiter.
Also Read: 8 Best Grid Tie Inverter with Battery Backup
What is a Zero Export Grid Tie Inverter?
After learning how a grid tie inverter with a limiter works and the list of their best types, you must be curious about zero export grid tie inverters. In a standard grid-tied solar setup, the inverter transfers solar panel-generated energy to the grid. A bidirectional net meter tracks both energy usage and generation. A zero-export inverter stops surplus energy from going back to the grid, particularly helpful when there are limitations on sending energy to the grid.
What is a Hybrid Grid Tie Inverter With Limiter?
After understanding the working of grid tie with a limiter, let’s go through the concept of a hybrid grid tie inverter with a limiter. It is a specialized inverter for solar power systems. It enables solar panel integration with the grid while controlling the amount of surplus energy sent back to the grid.
Additionally, check out How to Connect Hybrid Inverter to Grid.
Incorporating a grid tie inverter with a limiter in your renewable energy setup is a smart move towards a sustainable and cost-effective power generation system. By prioritizing self-consumption and limiting excess exports, these devices optimize solar energy use, minimizing ecological footprints for individuals and businesses. For more informative content, keep coming back to our blog.