With the invention of solar inverters operations of solar panels became much easier. Now, the panels are safe from damage and even the appliances and battery connected to the inverter are safe from certain power issues. A solar inverter can be used in all 3 forms grid, on grid, and hybrid. Basically, manufacturers nowadays provide specialized inverters for particular uses. You must have heard about grid tie inverters. Are you thinking of buying one and looking for the best grid tie inverter with battery backup? Then you are in the right place. Because this article gives you complete info about the same and if you are confused can grid-tie inverter run on battery, come find out.
What is a Grid Tie Inverter?
Basically, solar inverters can be divided into 3 categories namely on-grid inverters, off-grid inverters, and hybrid inverters. Off-grid inverters are not connected to the utility grid but to the battery, whereas hybrid inverters are connected to both the utility grid and the battery. Today we will discuss on-grid or what is grid tie inverter, and which are best among them with battery backup. So, a grid tie inverter is directly connected to the grid and connects solar panels to the grid as well. It is considered to be the most efficient and cost-effective inverter.
Solar panels and grids integrate with each other. Grid-tied inverters serve the purpose of converting Direct Current (DC) generated by solar panels into Alternating Current (AC). The power converter to AC is transferred to the utility grid and then from there to the appliances.
Excess electricity generated and unused during the day is fed into the grid and the owner receives credit for it. They can be used in exchange for power from the grid when there is an insufficient power supply from solar panels. With these credits, your utility bill will be reduced to a large extent.
2. Types of grid-tied inverters
1) Central inverters: A type of larger version of string inverters these central ones are capable of supporting more string of panels. Strings from solar panels are connected together in a combiner box from which DC power is transferred to a central solar inverter. With fewer components required, central inverters do need a combiner box and a pad. These inverters are suitable for large-scale operations.
2) Microinverters: These module-level inverters are installed on each solar panel and perform spot conversion of DC to AC in solar panels themselves. This reduces the requirements for a string inverter. It is also beneficial if one or more panels are shaded, the overall productivity of other panels will not be affected. AC Modules are solar panels with integrated micro inverters, making them cost-effective. Otherwise, the installation cost of micro-inverters is high.
3) Battery-based inverters: These are bidirectional in nature as they include both a battery and an inverter. These inverters can be off/on grid or hybrid depending on their UL rating and design. They are highly efficient with a constant power supply as they manage energy between the grid and array while charging the battery on the side. This process is monitored and regulated by a battery-based inverter.
4) String inverters: Multiple strings of solar panels placed in a string are connected to a string inverter. Each string of solar panels has its own separate string inverter. These inverters serve best where shading is not a problem. The panels are positioned such that they face the same direction. With technological advancement, string inverters are now more capable with great power density in small sizes too.
What is the Best Grid Tie Inverter with Battery Backup?
Based on factors determining the best grid tie inverter with battery backup, here is the list of the same.
1. Eco-Worthy – 2000W LCD Solar Grid-Tie Inverter
An affordable solar grid tie inverter is particularly best for small-scale solar power systems, this inverter is equally efficient. Eco Worthy inverter offers you the possibility to expand your solar array over time by stacking more inverters. It can handle around 1,000 watts, which is considered enough for a small solar power system, particularly used for residential purposes. The inverter has a color LCD screen for easy monitoring and adjusting settings for your solar power system.
Eco Worthy inverters have integrated MPPT controllers along with useful safety mechanisms like overcurrent protection, reverse polarity prevention, and over-temperature protection. Its color display and stacking property are its key features.
2. POWLAND Grid tie Hybrid 2000w
This hybrid inverter is a capable one along with being an affordable option with great features. Its own battery pack offers you a constant power supply during power outages. It has easy to read LCD screen to monitor and change settings. Also, it is backed with monitoring software for easy access and updates of technical information. Not just this, the POWLAND inverter can support up to 9 connected models in case you want to increase your power conversion. Its 1-year warranty is one of its key features and its normal operating power range is between 110V to 120V.
3. Schneider Electric 6.8Kw
This inverter is capable of handling both situations namely on-grid and off-grid. The Schneider Electric inverter is designed for hybrid functioning and belongs to the Conext XW+ series of the company. Backed by its own battery this inverter is powerful enough to supply power to all devices in your house. With 5 years warranty, this inverter can power 120V and 240V appliances.
4. SMA – Sunny Boy 7700W Grid-Tie Inverter
Among the best grid tie inverters with battery backup this one comes at a reasonable price than other inverters. Sunny Boy solar inverters include a Secure Power System (SPS) of 2,000 watts, which is a unique feature found in SMA brand products. This system acts as a small emergency backup power source and comes in handy during a power outage. The average outlet of this inverter is around 120V and is mostly preferred to be used in emergency situations.
Sunny Boy has an inbuilt wall mounting system with sturdy and reliable mounting brackets, making it easier to install and mount it. With a little weight, you can confidently mount the system. Also, you can integrate the system with any smart device and its unique installation assistance software enables easy. Wireless connectivity and integration of Smartphone apps along with 3 MPPT controllers and a dedicated secure backup power supply are among its key features.
5. SMA Sunny Boy 5.0 5000w
The company is known to power more houses than any other brand which is why its two inverters are mentioned here. This inverter also has a 2000 W Secure Power System (SPS). With this, the power is dedicated 120V outlet up to 2000W at times when there is no power supply from solar panels. To get the maximum benefit from Sunny Boy 5.0 inverters make sure that no panel is under shade, and there is any sort of obstruction between solar panels and sunlight. This inverter can power 208V and 240V appliances and is backed with a 10-year warranty.
Also Read: How to Switch Off Inverter When Not in Use?
6. SolarEdge – SE3000H HD Wave Grid-Tie Inverter
This inverter is sleek but offers industry-leading efficiency. SolarEdge HD Wave is known to offer an industry-leading 99.2% efficiency rating. This means most power generated by your solar system will be fed to the grid. This leads to 33% less energy loss and more savings. With only 25 lbs. weight this inverter is featured wireless connectivity and is compatible with the Solar Edge mobile application.
With this best grid tie inverter with battery backup, you can use this application to monitor and control the performance of the solar power system as a whole. It also has a built-in DC safety switch, and heat dissipation mechanisms, along with a fully integrated rapid shutdown safety feature. Its 12-year manufacturer warranty is also one of its key features. The safe operating power range of the HD Wave grid tie inverter is between 3 kW to 11.4 kW.
7. Sol-Ark – 12k Pre-Wired Grid tie Hybrid Inverter
It is among the top solar grid tied inverters because it is a complete package offering everything a buyer needs. It is flexible and efficient along with an all-in-one product at a reasonable price. Sol Ark 12K is used as a grid-tie and off-grid inverter backed with a battery. The continuous power supply of up to 9,600 watts as a grid tie inverter and 8,000 watts of power for off-grid is provided with this inverter. It also offers hybrid functionality and with its quality to expand and stack you can adapt your system to suit increasing power needs. The inverter has the ability to power 120V, 249V, and 208V appliances
It has 2 inbuilt MPPT controllers, AC breakers, an auto generator starter, a battery temperature sensor, number current sensors, and a PV rapid shutdown signal. Along with these features, the system has Wi-Fi connectivity with a color touch screen. A 10-year standard warranty along with prewired design for easy installation are some of its key features.
Also See: Can Hybrid Inverter Work Without Battery?
8. Temank MPPT Grid tie Hybrid 3000w
This inverter has an increased wattage than other inverters as 3000 W and has multiple charging options. With distinct settings, its in-built battery can charge via power received from solar panels. Or it can be adjusted such that its battery is charged from both solar power and electricity from the mainline. The Tenmank MPPT grid-tie hybrid inverter can power 110V and 120V appliances and is backed with a 1-year warranty.
9. Y&H Power Limiter 1000w
Considering the price, then this one among the best grid tie inverter with battery backup is a good option also. The Y&H power limiter inverter has an in-built limiter which is why it is named. This limiter prevents the inverter from supplying excess power to the battery or inverter. This inverter allows stackable options in case you want to increase the power supply. Also, this inverter has a smart fan cooling feature that protects against overheating and maintains the lifespan of the inverter. You can power 110V and 240V appliances with this inverter.
Also Read: Off Grid Inverter Vs Hybrid Inverter
10. LiSos 500w
If you are new to solar power systems, buying a less costly inverter can be a good idea. Or if you want to handle a compact setup, LiSos 500w inverter is considered the best option as it is small and easily portable. It also effectively handles solar panels rated up to 12V. However, you get stackable options with this inverter too, and you can increase wattage if you want by adding more inverters. Overcurrent protection, a cooling fan, and temperature protection are its key features. Even though its average lifespan is 5 years, you can maintain its life and get maximum benefits by installing it in a temperate area where it does not get too hot/cold.
11. Marsrock Power Limiter 2000w
If you are looking for a no-frill inverter this one is for you. Marsrock Power Limiter has a surge or peak rating of 2000W, but the power rating for continuous power supply is 1800W. Despite being less costly than other inverters, you will get maximum benefits from this inverter. Also, you can power 230V appliances with this inverter.
Also See: Solar Inverter Vs Normal Inverter- What are the Differences?
12. EPREC 600W Grid Tie Solar Inverter
This inverter can be used to connect different types of sources to the grid. This includes solar panels, wind turbines, small solar water heaters, and battery banks. EPREC inverters have a maximum power rating of 600W and thus can produce enough power to run small and mid-scale appliances in your house. It has a simple design and is easy to install. Also, it is light weighted and thus portable. You can power 90V to 140V appliances.
13. Outback Power Skybox Grid-Tie Hybrid Inverter
This one is among the best grid tie inverter with battery backup and has a combination of high wattage of 5000W and 97% efficiency. Thus, it can power large-scale applications too. Outback Power Skybox Grid Tie inverter is backed with a battery and can also be used for hybrid applications. Though more expensive than other inverters, you get a longer battery backup with it. And it can be controlled via an application.
Also Read: Top 10 Solar Inverters in the World
What to Look for in the Best Grid Tie Inverter?
After learning about the best grid tie inverter with battery backup, here is a list of things to consider while purchasing a grid tie inverter. You can find a data sheet (Specification) with the inverter providing all the below-mentioned and other basic details of the inverter. The ones mentioned below need special attention.
1. Maximum Input Current: The max input current is the amount that an inverter can handle. Excess power produced by solar panels than the maximum input current rating of a grid tie inverter will be wasted as the inverter cannot utilize it.
2. Maximum Output Current: Maximum output current is the rating for protection devices integrated into the inverter, like fuses and breakers.
3. Output Voltage: It is the amount of power supplied by an inverter to power the appliances. For residential purposes, your inverter must have an output voltage of about 240 VAC. For larger commercial energy storage systems, you will need an inverter with 208-600VAC output voltage.
4. Rated Output Power: This depends on the output voltage of an inverter and every inverter has a different rated output power. This rating can be found in either kilowatt (kW) or watts (W).
Also See: How to Choose Best Solar Powered Security Lights?
Can Grid-Tie Inverter Run on Battery?
Yes, the grid inverter can run on a battery. You can install and connect a battery with a grid-tied inverter and convert the whole system to a hybrid inverter system. You can use a battery-based inverter and connect it to the grid. Or you can add a battery to your on-grid inverter and use it as an off-grid inverter.
No, you are still confused, can grid-tie inverter run on battery? The short answer to this question is yes, it can. But before you do such with the best grid tie inverter with battery backup here are a few points to consider.
- The inverter should be large enough to handle the whole load. This way you can run appliances even in the absence of solar power.
- It supplies power to the appliances by the time solar power begins generating electricity. Basically, it takes approximately 1 minute or so for solar panels to start generating power. This way, the entire load will be handled by the inverter/generator.
- More than one generator can be used in sync with solar power systems. But to sync generators with each other, you need a synch panel.
- To prevent generators and solar systems from being damaged you should isolate generators and solar power plants from the grid.
Also Read: Can You Connect Inverters in Series?
Is It Beneficial to Run a Grid-Tied Inverter?
Depending upon power requirements and availability of solar power in your region, an off grid solar inverter is beneficial in the following ways.
- Batteries are not required to shift from on-grid to off-grid.
- Can run inverter and solar power systems during a power outage.
- Reduces up to 62% diesel consumption.
- With reduced usage and less load your diesel generators may have an increased lifespan.
Also See: 8 Benefits of Cleaning Solar Panels
What Should be the Warranty for the Best Grid Tie Inverter?
The average lifespan of a grid-tied solar inverter is around 10 years. Where some of them last for less than this period somewhere around 2 to 5 years and others last more than this around 15 years. While looking for the best grid tie inverter, you should consider the one with a 10-year warranty. If your budget does not allow you to go for a 10-year warranted solar inverter as they are more expensive than others. Go for a budget-friendly option with the maximum warranty in that price range.
So, today you learned about the best grid tie inverter with battery backup. The best one should be efficient enough to power the appliances as per your requirements. Also, it must have integrated protection devices and wireless connection features to help ease monitoring and setting adjustments. Can grid-tie inverter run on battery? The answer to this is yes, but you need to follow particular guidelines for a safer experience.
Recommended: 6 Top Solar Racking Manufacturers