It’s February and Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, the search for the perfect gift to express love and appreciation is on. Flowers are the first preference, but do you know that the cut-flower industry uses Methyl Bromide, a toxic chemical that is five times more potent than carbon dioxide? It is harmful to the ozone layer and has an Ozone Depletion Potential of 0.6. So this year, why not go beyond traditional presents and embrace sustainability by opting for upcycled or eco-friendly Valentine’s Day gifts?
Eco-friendly Valentine’s Day Gifts
Here is the list of upcycled, repurposed and eco-friendly gifting options.
1. Upcycled Jewelry
You can make handmade jewelry made from upcycled materials such as recycled metals, vintage beads, or repurposed fabrics such as pieces of denim. Pieces earrings, and bangles can be made for women and you can design bracelets, and lockets for men.
2. Upcycled Table Lamp
These unique lamps are crafted from repurposed materials like plastic or glass giving them a distinctive charm and reducing waste in the landfills. Transform an empty wine bottle into a stylish table lamp by adding a lampshade and lighting fixture. Try making one by following the steps mentioned below:
- Get a lamp kit from retail hardware stores and a lampshade.
- Carefully slow drill in the lower side of the bottle to make a small hole.
- Insert wiring through the hole and wire the socket to the switch.
- Fill the bottle with old beads or marbles and add a shade at the top.
- Plug it and test. Table lamp is ready to gift.
3. Solar Powered Gadgets
Combining innovative technology with sustainability you can surprise him by gifting him some of the solar powered products from his to-buy list
- Charger: To charge phones, tablets and speakers.
- Flashlight: For a good camp plan, this would suffice for night light.
- Watch: A memorable timepiece.
- Backpack cooler: Keep drinks and snacks cold while charging devices via USB ports.
Also See: 22 Best Solar Products For Everyday Life
4. Sustainable Phone Covers
This not only makes you a thoughtful person but can spark a conversation about eco-friendly choices in your daily lives with your partner. Sustainable phone covers are produced from biodegradable materials like bamboo, plant-based bioplastics, or upcycled materials such as discarded fabrics or leather scraps. Pela, EcoBlvd, Oakywood, and Native Union are some of the dedicated stores for sustainable phone cases.
5. Sustainable Chocolate
On Valentine’s Day, any form of chocolate will be a hot favorite for her, but gift sustainable chocolate brands sourced from cocoa beans and natural ingredients grown through organic farming. Look for chocolate bars that are certified fair trade where cocoa farmers receive fair prices for their products.
6. Sustainable Baking Mix
Let baking be a heartwarming and enjoyable experience that allows you to celebrate love with sustainable mixes. Get your batch of eco-friendly baking supplies from Brown Living, Susgrainable, and Brightly Eco online stores. Common substitutes used in these mixes are as follows:
- Organic flour or oats mix is produced without synthetic pesticides.
- Natural sweeteners like organic cane sugar, honey, or maple syrup rather than refined sugar.
- Chocolate chips or cocoa powder from fair trade or sustainable chocolates.
- Flavorings like pure vanilla extract or organic cinnamon.
7. Sustainable Sneakers
Gifting a pair of sustainable sneakers to him/her during Valentine’s Day offers your affection and eco-friendly fashion in one package. These are made from organic cotton, recycled polyester, and plant-based alternatives, reducing their environmental footprint and supporting ethical manufacturing practices. They are durable, long-lasting with unique prints and colors, fashionable for any occasion, just like Sugarcane Loafers by Reroute.
8. Eco-friendly Apparel
You have a chance to give him/her stylish and high-quality clothing supporting sustainable and ethical practices in the fashion industry. Such clothing includes organic cotton apparel, bamboo fabric, hemp fabric, and recycled polyester, nylon, or wool.
Also, check out the Best Sustainable Clothing Brands.
9. Eco-friendly Wine Glasses
On a special day, you can toast to a brighter future with these glasses that embody elegance and eco-consciousness. Traditionally they are made from non-recyclable materials like crystal glass whereas eco-friendly method uses recycled glass and glass alternatives like borosilicate (lead-free), and bioplastics derived from renewable resources like corn or sugarcane (PLA). Online stores where you can buy a set for you are Brown Living and Everlastly.
10. Natural Perfumes
Capture the essence of nature for your loved ones, offering a sustainable alternative to conventional fragrances. Natural perfumes are made from botanical extracts, essential oils, and plant-based ingredients, and do not use any synthetic fragrances or harsh chemicals. Ecco Verde, Adiveda, and Hiram Green provide a good range in this category.
11. Organic Dry Fruit Box
Offer a box filled with a variety of organic cashews, almonds, and pistachios as an eco-friendly Valentine’s gift. They are synthetic pesticides and fertilizers free, thus are 100% natural. This promotes soil health and prevents biodiversity along with being a rich source of essential nutrients to us. Different platforms with good choice options are Dry Fruits Home and The Date House.
Well, flowers are the obvious choice for the day, so why not gift plants? As we know potted plants help improve air quality by filtering out pollutants, you can gift a succulent arrangement/terrarium with a DIY recycle with glass containers or plastic bottles.
Try to pack it with biodegradable materials such as paper or cardboard. While choosing a plant, think of your partner’s preferences of color nature, and light availability.
13. Heart Shape Wreath
This eco-friendly Valentine’s gift can be made from repurposed old fabric scraps into a charming decoration. Materials needed: 1 craft hoop, ribbon, glue, and fabrics of contrasting colors.
- Cut heart shapes from both fabrics and sew them together leaving a 1.5-inch gap to stuff.
- Gently stuff them with stuffing like from old teddy bears.
- Assemble the hearts on the hoop and add any embellishments for a pleasing look.
- Tie a hanging ribbon and it can be displayed on your front door or any favorite spot.
14. Wine Cork Heart
These corks can be recycled and gifted as a heart-shaped hanging used as home decor or as a reminder board. To make this heart-shaped base out of cardboard or stiff fabric, follow these steps.
- Arrange the wine corks on the base in the shape of a heart, with the pointed ends facing inward.
- Using a hot glue gun, carefully glue each wine cork onto the base.
- Cut a length of ribbon or twine and attach it to the back of the heart using hot glue.
15. House Plant Subscription
It is a service that delivers live fresh, and beautiful plants to your doorstep. You can choose from different types of plants, such as succulents, orchids, pet-friendly plants, or rare plants. A house plant subscription for Valentine’s Day is a delightful gift that keeps both the love and the plants in your garden growing through the years. House Plant Box, The Sill, Succulents Box, Horti, and the Plant Club are the most notable ones.
With a little creativity and some basic painting supplies, you can transform a plain clay pot into a personalized Valentine’s Day craft. Follow these simple steps to create one.
- Gather any old clay pots in your home.
- Using a paintbrush, apply a color base coat of acrylic paint to the clay pot.
- You can paint hearts, flowers, and polka dots.
- Let it dry, and fill the pot with flowers, candies, or small gifts to make it even more special.
17. Garden Kit
Gardening is a therapeutic activity that promotes relaxation, reduces stress, and improves mental well-being. Gifting a garden set encourages your loved one to spend time outdoors, connecting with nature and enjoying its benefits. The kit includes a trowel, hand rake, pruning shears, gloves, plant markers, and a watering can.
18. Confetti from Natural Ingredients
In parties, or occasions, confetti brings life to the pictures. Why not prepare a bag of flower confetti this for the special day? To prepare biodegradable leaf confetti, follow these steps.
- Collect colorful leaves from trees outside.
- Use a hole punch to create small shapes from the leaves (hearts, stars, etc.)
- During the time of the celebration of Valentine’s Day, scatter it on tables, and toss it in the air during events.
- When used outdoors, there’s no need to clean up; the leaves will naturally decompose
19. Denim Tote Bags
By repurposing old jeans into denim tote bags, you create stylish and practical accessories. They are versatile, durable, and eco-friendly, thus can be used for shopping, travel, or everyday use. You can make a tote bag in the following way.
- Start by selecting a pair of old jeans, and cutting out the desired pieces.
- Add a fabric lining to the inside of the bag and sew from one side to another.
- Cut out straps, place them inside the bag, and stitch.
- You can also use glue. Give it a final press with an iron to smooth out any wrinkles.
If you are interested in style and trends, check out How can the Fashion Industry be more Sustainable?
20. DIY Vegan Candles
Homemade soy candles avoid animal-derived ingredients like beeswax or stearic acid found in many commercial candles. To make them, follow these steps.
- Start by double-boiling soy wax flakes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, add a few drops of fragrance oils to the melted wax.
- Trim the wicks to the desired length, leaving about ¼ inch above the surface of the wax.
- Pour it into heart-shaped molds or any container.
- Let it cool and harden. They are ready to lighten and gift.
Whether you’re making them for decorations, gifts, or just for fun, these plastic hearts are sure to cheer. Carefully follow these steps to make them.
- Gather clean bottles, draw two horizontal lines, and cut along.
- Fold that into a heart shape and press with a low-heat iron box.
- Form a lid into the heart-shaped box.
- Decorate with any beads, or buttons, or paint the box with a pink color.
22. Zero Waste Set
Bamboo is a highly sustainable resource, requiring minimal water and no pesticides for cultivation. Curate a zero-waste set that includes bamboo brush, tongue cleaner, bamboo baskets, organizers, bamboo spoons & spatulas.
Also, take a look at these Innovative Eco-Friendly Zero Waste Business Ideas
Amid busy lives, we can carve out personal space for ourselves, curating a personalized eco-friendly Valentine’s gift box. It can be filled with items that promote relaxation and wellness. This is a perfect present for our loved ones.
Curate in a box with items like organic herbal teas, handmade soap bars, aromatherapy diffusers paired with organic essential oils like lavender, and eucalyptus, You can also gift organic body scrubs and lip balm made of beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter.
An insulated stainless steel flask or copper bottle are a good choice for gifting him/her. These flasks can be used for beverages over the day and if maintained well they can be used over the years.
Explore natural habitats and beautiful scenic views where you cherish a deeper understanding of conservation and environmental protection. Hiking allows couples to immerse themselves in the beauty of the natural world and acts as a low-impact exercise that promotes health & fitness.
Choosing eco-friendly Valentine’s Day gifts will have a positive impact on the planet and reduce carbon footprint. Remember to take care of yourself and practice self-love, while also showing love for nature and doing what you can to create a sustainable world. Keep exploring our website for many such ideas and guidance.