A smartwatch has several functions and settings that enable you to reply to and receive calls through it. However, so many functions and activities going on in the watch can cause excessive battery usage. Garmin devices are well known for their long battery backup. But your Garmin watch battery used to last for days, but now it is exhausted within a few days. Do you think getting a Garmin watch battery replacement will solve the issue? What could possibly be Garmin watch battery replacement cost?
Which Watches Need Battery Replacement?
There are 4 types of watch movements, namely automatic, manual, quartz, and solar. Basically, quartz and watches need batteries to power their movements. Even solar watches with quartz movement need batteries to store power. A watch needs a battery replacement to keep on working. But this needs to be done after at least 5 years of usage.
Garmin Watch Battery Replacement
Garmin is the brand that provides activity trackers and sports watches. The brand is known for its GPS navigation technology and wearable. Garmin offers a wide range of smartwatches that are basically known for their sturdiness and connectivity.
1. Reasons for Fast Battery Drainage
If your device is running short on battery it may have the following or one of the following issues.
a. Outdated software
b. Needs troubleshooting
c. Not fully charged for a long time
d. Settings causing high drainage as mentioned below-
- Unlimited backlight timer and gesture settings are on.
- GPS is enabled unnecessarily
- Continually receiving texts, phone, running music player, and weather updates
- Additional sensors like HRM chest straps, Bluetooth headphones, and power meters are connected.
- Watch faces, apps, or data fields on display continuously.
- Widgets like ABC (altimeter, barometer, and compass) or weather are always active.
2. Solution for Solving and Getting More Battery Life
The functions and settings mentioned above are available in the watch menu.
a) Update to the Latest Software
Ensure that the software of the watch is up-to-date. The official website recommends using Garmin Express for the latest update available for your Garmin device.
b) Do a Quick Soft Reset
A background running activity and feature results in excessive consumption of battery. Follow these steps to perform a soft reset. Also, neither of your data will be lost nor any settings will be altered after the soft reset.
- Hold the Light Button (for at least 30 seconds)
- Release the Light button once the screen goes blank
- Press Light to turn the device on
- Charge the watch up to 100% and use it
Note: After a quick soft reset track the time for how long the battery lasts.
c) Fully Charge it to See if it Resolves the Issue or Not
d) Change/Adjust the Settings
- Backlight: The time period of the backlight and its frequency affects the battery life. If you have set the backlight to 100% or other settings like gesture they will use up more battery. Using the manual settings for the backlight will use up the least battery.
- Bluetooth: Change the notification settings to occasional. It will reduce battery usage.
- Connected Sensors: Additional sensors like Bluetooth devices, power meters, etc., use up battery power while they are connected. Disconnect the ones that are not in use.
- GPS: Activating GPS during navigation and activities is recommended to save up battery and prevent unnecessary drainage of the battery.
- Watch Face: Some screens, applications, and widgets need to be disabled or changed to reduce battery consumption.
- Widgets: Activate the ABC (altimeter, barometer, and compass) widget only when required. Also, disable the weather widget to reduce background battery consumption.
e) Contact Cables
To avoid the situation where you need to get a Garmin watch battery replacement here is a solution. Garmin recommends using a Garmin charging cable. Also, keep the charging contacts (surface) on the watch and the charging cable is free from debris. Clean the contact for better performance.
Note: All watches may not support the same listed features. The name or location may differ from model to model. For better feature compatibility and location of features, refer to the owner’s manual of the device.
Also Read: 13 Best Solar Watches
Garmin Watch Battery Replacement Cost
Garmin devices come with an in-built lithium-ion battery. Such batteries are irreplaceable. If your device is not working, you should try to quickly reset it and then switch it on again. If the problem persists, go on to the official support page for the reset functions and other additional service options.
- Enter your device name or serial number and click Other.
- Now, search for the Frozen or Not Powering On option.
Usually, all Garmin automotive devices are warranted for 1 year from the date of purchase. The warranty covers the device from being free of defects in materials and workmanship. You can visit their limited warranty page for the complete details regarding the warranty on the type of device you have.
- Begin with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol for cleaning the charged surface on the back of the watch and on the charging cable.
- If the issue is software-related, visit Garmin Express to update the software.
- Charge the battery for several hours and then use the watch to determine whether the battery is functioning or not.
For improving battery life and other battery-related information for some specific Garmin products visit here. Select the Related Links from the bottom of the page.
Garmin Vivoactive 4 Battery Replacement
The Vivoactive 4 is from the outdoor watches range that uses a lithium-ion battery. It is rechargeable but is not user-replaceable.
The watch comes with a gorilla glass 3 lens material with stainless steel bezel material. It has quick-release silicon bands of 22 millimeters in width. The display has a 33.0-millimeter diameter feature with a touch screen. The battery lasts up to 8 days in smartwatch mode. On GPS mode with music, it lasts for up to 6 hours, and without music the battery powers the watch for 18 hours.
Tips to Maximize the Battery Life
Here is a list of resetting certain functions of your watch to increase the battery life and avoid a Garmin watch battery replacement.
Smartphone notifications displayed on your device from Managing Notifications
Display time out and brightness from the Backlight Settings
Broadcast of heart rate data to the paired Garmin devices from Broadcasting Heart Rate to Garmin Devices
4. Turn Off
- Bluetooth (while you are not using any connected functions) from Turning Off the Bluetooth Smartphone Connection
- Activity tracking from Activity Tracking Settings
- Wrist-based heart rate monitoring from Turning Off the Wrist-based Heart Rate Monitor
- Automatic pulse oximeter readings from Changing the Pulse Oximeter Tracking Mode
Also Read: What is Pulsar Solar Watch?
Garmin Vivoactive 3 Battery Replacement
The Vivoactive 3 is an attractive and durable wear featuring fitness and smartwatch functions. Once fully charged, the battery lasts for 13 hours in GPS mode and for 7 days in smartwatch mode. The battery is irreplaceable. Date, time, and other selected features are visible on the screen that is displayed as you raise your hand and the screen illuminates. The watch supports a touch screen and a single button on one and a grooved edge on another side of the watch. It enables you to navigate between screens.
Though the battery is irreplaceable if your watch has a battery life of fewer than 3 days you can use this tool to apply for an exchange. This tool is available in selected countries. The drop-down list on the exchange page for further details.
Note: If your country is not listed in the exchange menu, contact your local Garmin Product Support Office for further assistance.
Also See: How Does Solar Watch Work?
Garmin Watch Battery Life
As per the official website, the Garmin battery will last longer than other brands. The outdoor and fitness range of watches offers a week of battery life. Also, they can go up to a maximum of 50 days with optimum settings. Yes, the Garmin Enduro lasts for about 50 days in smartwatch mode and a max of 65 days in solar charging mode. I guess after learning about the battery life of all the Garmin watch series you will give up the idea of Garmin watch battery replacement.
Here is the table with all the Garmin watches and their approximate battery life in Smartwatch mode, before they discharge.
- v×vomove® 3
- v×vomove® 3S
- v×vomove® Luxe
- v×vomove® Sport
- v×vomove® Style
- Venu® Sq
- Venu® Sq Music
- D2™ Air X10
- Forerunner® 245
- Forerunner® 245 Music
- Forerunner® 745
- Garmin Swim™ 2
- Legacy Hero – Captain Marvel
- Legacy Saga – Rey™
- v×voactive ® 4S
- v×vosmart® 4
- v×vosmart® 5
- Legacy Hero – First Avenger
- Legacy Saga – Darth Vader™
- v×voactive® 4
- fenix® 6S 9 days
- fenix® 6S Pro / Sapphire
- fenix® 6S Pro Solar or 10.5 days with Solar
- Venu® 2 Plus
- Approach® S42
- Venu® 2S
- D2™ Mach 1
- fenix® 7S
- fenix® 7S Sapphire Solar or 14 days with Solar
- fenix® 7S Solar or 14 days with Solar
- Venu® 2
- Venu® Sq 2
- Forerunner® 255S
- Forerunner® 255S Music
- MARQ® Collection
- Approach® S62
- fenix® 6 14 days
- fenix® 6 Pro / Sapphire
- fenix® 6 Pro Solar or 16 days with Solar
- Forerunner® 255
- Forerunner® 255 Music
- Forerunner® 55
- Forerunner® 945 LTE
- Forerunner® 955
- Forerunner® 955 Solar or 20 days with Solar
- epix™ (Gen 2)
- quatix® 7 Sapphire (6 days always-on)
- fenix® 7 18 days
- fenix® 7 Sapphire Solar or 22 days with Solar
- fenix® 7 Solar or 22 days with Solar
- Descent™ G1 21 days
- Descent™ G1 Solar or 4 months with Solar
- Instinct® 2S
- Instinct® 2S Solar or 51 days with Solar
- fenix® 6X
- fenix® 6X Pro / Sapphire
- fenix® 6X Pro Solar or 24 days with Solar
- fenix® 7X Sapphire Solar or 37 days with Solar
- fenix® 7X Solaror 37 days with Solar
- Instinct® 2 28 days
- Instinct® 2 Solar or Unlimited with Solar
- quatix® 7X Solar or 37 days with Solar
- tactix® 7 28 days
- tactix® 7 Pro or 37 days with Solar
- tactix® 7 Pro Ballistics or 37 days with Solar
- Enduro™ 50 or 65 days with Solar
- Enduro 2™ 34 days / 46 days with Solar
- Approach® S12 10 weeks
- Approach® S20 8 weeks
- v×vofit® 4 1+ year
- v×vofit® jr. 3 1 year
Well, now you know that it is not quite possible to get a Garmin watch battery replacement. Even from their service center, this cannot be done due to the in-built battery of their devices. So, Garmin watch battery replacement cost could not be calculated because of irreplaceable batteries. Though the official website offers the device replacement if it is within the warranty period.
Recommended: How to Reset Citizen Eco Drive