A fixed tilt array is a type of solar panel installation in which the solar panels are mounted at a fixed angle and orientation, typically facing south to maximize sunlight exposure.
The tilt angle is fixed at a specific angle, usually determined by the location of the installation and the seasonality of the sun’s path. This type of solar panel installation is simple and cost-effective, as it requires less equipment and maintenance compared to other types of solar panel systems.
Fixed tilt arrays are commonly used in large-scale commercial and utility-scale solar installations, where the primary goal is to generate the maximum amount of energy at the lowest possible cost.
However, a fixed tilt array has some limitations. They are not as efficient as other solar panel systems that track the sun’s movement throughout the day, especially in regions with high latitudes or areas with frequent cloud cover.
Additionally, fixed tilt arrays cannot be adjusted to optimize their performance during different seasons, so their energy output may fluctuate depending on the time of year.
Fixed tilt arrays are a popular choice for large-scale solar installations due to their simplicity and low cost. While they may not be as efficient as other solar panel systems, they are still an effective way to generate clean energy and reduce carbon emissions.
Also Read: What is Distribution Power?
What are the types of fixed tilt arrays?
Here are some common uses of fixed tilt arrays:
- Residential solar installations: Fixed tilt arrays are commonly used for residential solar installations because they are easy to install and don’t require any additional moving parts.
- Commercial solar installations: Fixed tilt arrays are also commonly used for commercial solar installations, particularly on large rooftops in industries such as agriculture, manufacturing, and logistics.
- Ground-mounted solar installations: Fixed tilt arrays are ideal for ground-mounted solar installations on flat terrain, and their simple design makes them easy to install and maintain.
- Utility-scale solar installations: Fixed tilt arrays are an affordable and efficient option for large-scale solar farms and can be customized to meet specific project needs.
- Remote power applications: Fixed tilt arrays are ideal for off-grid installations in remote areas, such as cabins or structures where access to the power grid is limited.