Tesla has revolutionized the world of home energy storage with its electrifying Powerwall series. Recently, the company announced Powerwall 3. Try to imagine Powerwall 2 as a trustworthy electric companion and then envision Powerwall 3 as an elegant and futuristic enhancement, pretty cool, right? So let’s explore the exciting changes and upgrades by comparing Tesla Powerwall 3 and Powerwall 2.
Tesla Powerwall 3 Vs Powerwall 2: What’s the Difference?
The Powerwall is designed to store the energy generated by your solar panels, ensuring uninterrupted power supply even during grid outages. This home battery continues Tesla’s mission of making clean energy accessible to everyone. Powerwall enables you to efficiently monitor and control your energy usage through the Tesla app, allowing you to tailor your system to align with your specific energy goals.
It is a new solar battery solution, meticulously crafted to cater to your home’s unique requirements.
- It can provide an abundance of power with just one unit, making it the ideal solution for fulfilling your current and future energy requirements.
- The Powerwall 3 is equipped with an integrated solar inverter, enabling seamless connection of solar energy for optimal efficiency.
- It is designed to perform flawlessly, is resistant to dust, and has a flood resistance of over 2 feet.
- It has an integrated system controller. Plus, it consists of six solar inputs, each equipped with Maximum Power Point Trackers (MPPTs).
- The efficiency of solar energy conversion to the grid reaches an impressive 97.5%.
- It offers the possibility of expanding at any time, allowing a maximum addition of 40.5 kWh per unit.
For a better understanding, check out Tesla Powerwall 3 Review – Release Date, Specs, Price
The Powerwall 2 is compatible with all leading solar inverters on the market. Take a look at its key features.
- It can be installed as part of a new solar system, or on its own.
- It can accommodate various system sizes with ease.
- Powerwall 2 is compatible with all major solar inverters available in the market but lacks an integrated solar inverter.
- It can be installed indoors or outdoors, whether you prefer your products to be floor-mounted or wall-mounted.
- They are also dust and water-resistant.
- The scalable option is not available in Powerwall 2.
Therefore a Powerwall product is easy to install and can be stacked to expand the system at a low cost. It works well with different home styles and solar systems. This all-in-one construction is designed to be compact and offers flexible mounting options. But what is the difference between Tesla Powerwall 2 vs 3 in terms of additional features? Let us have a look at Tesla Powerwall 3 and 2 specs!
Tesla Powerwall 3 Vs 2 Specs
Here are the specifications table for Tesla Powerwall 3 vs 2 capacity, dimension, size, and power capacities.
|Point of distinction||Powerwall 3||Powerwall 2|
|Energy capacity||13.5 kWh||13.5 kWh usable energy (14 kWh total)|
|On-grid power||11.5 kW continuous||5.8kVA continuous|
|Backup power||11.5 kW continuous and 150 LRA motor start||10kW peak and 106A LRA motor start|
|Certifications||Complies with North American safety and EMI standards.||Complies with International and US EMI & safety standards.|
UL-1642, 1741, 1741 SA, 1741 SB, 1973, and 9540
IEEE 1547-2018 and UN 38.3
|Dimensions (L × W × D)||43.25 in × 24 in × 7.6 inches||45.3 in × 29.6 in × 5.75 inches|
|Weight||287 lbs (130.18 kilograms)||251.3 lbs (113.98 kilograms)|
Therefore, we can conclude that both have the same battery capacity but Powerwall 3 has more power and is smaller in size.
Tesla Powerwall 2 Vs 3 Similarities
Despite the differences, there are a few similarities between Powerwall 2 and 3.
- They both are designed to work accurately and provide reliable energy storage in a wide range of extreme temperatures, from a chilly -4° F to a scorching 122° F.
- Both versions of Powerwall offer a flawless transition for backup situations.
- The Powerwall 3, just like its predecessor Powerwall 2, is backed by a 10-year warranty.
Tesla Powerwall 3 Vs 2 Price
You can get a Tesla Powerwall 2 at around $8,700 excluding incentives. The amount is susceptible to change based on your location and the number of Powerwalls you purchase. However, there is a possibility to apply for incentives if you are eligible for one. You can take a look at the potential incentives available in your area by referring to the pricing window.
Since the purchase window for Powerwall 3 has not yet opened, we cannot assume its price. However, when comparing the prices of Tesla Powerwall 3 and Powerwall 2, it is expected that Powerwall 3 will be slightly more expensive due to its additional features. For more updates, you can check out this page.
As of April 15, 2023, the introduction of the new Net Billing Tariff (NBT) brings significant enhancements to the value of battery storage in your household. Tesla provides solar systems and Powerwall to all California customers eligible for the NBT program, allowing them to maximize their savings. You can learn more about the concept of NBT here.
Did you know that you can receive $500 for the installation of your Powerwall?
In conclusion, the comparison between the Tesla Powerwall 3 vs Powerwall 2 reveals important advancements in energy storage technology. The Powerwall 3 brings numerous notable enhancements, such as increased capacity, rapid charging, and improved compatibility with solar systems. Nevertheless, the Powerwall 2 remains a cost-effective option for moderate energy needs. In the end, the decision between the two options depends on individual requirements and financial constraints. Stay tuned with us to learn about more interesting launches.
Source: Tesla Powerwall Official Page