With the growing popularity of electric vehicles in Europe, the need for convenient chargers becomes important. That’s where the electrical vehicle apps come in. In this blog, we will discuss the best EV charging apps in Europe, highlighting their wide array of features and comprehensive charging solutions.
16 Best EV Charging Apps in Europe
EV charging is the process of recharging car batteries by supplying electric energy. It basically involves connecting the vehicle to a charging point or a battery source. As the market expands, the infrastructure for electric vehicle charging continues to grow, offering easy charging options through apps for a seamless experience.
Now, let’s go through the best EV charging apps in Europe that have revolutionized the charging experience for electric vehicle owners.
There are several applications that have emerged to ensure convenient access to charging facilities. Plugshare is one of the best Europe based EV apps to use that allows you to add charging stations and share experiences. It is a free app for large community EV drivers. It also gives the option to make a personal home charging station a public one. The app provides access to a vast database of stations with their photos, and a map to find them. It is accessible on both iOS (version 13.0 or later) and Android platforms.
Additionally, PlugShare offers the following features and benefits:
- You can find 250,000 charging stations according to their availability and functionality.
- You have the option to choose the type of plug and the charging speed based on your need.
- PlugShare enables you to monitor your charging session and conveniently pay at stations where payment is required.
- The built-in trip planner helps you locate charging stations along your road trip route. You will get notifications for nearby stations.
- This app is compatible with various EV models.
This app is among the best EV charging apps in Europe for its vast network of charging stations. The ChargePoint app gives access to lots of free charging stations. It conveniently monitors the real-time availability of charging points with pictures and driver tips. The app can be accessed for free on both iOS (iOS 14.0 or later) and Android phones. It is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple CarPlay, Wear OS by Google, Apple Watch, and Android Auto.
The latest premium version of the app introduces monthly statements for all drivers.
Key features of the ChargePoint app are given below :
- This app makes it easy to find more than 300,000 charging points across Europe based on their availability.
- Here, you can simply start charging by holding your phone near the station’s card reader.
- If you connect with ChargePoint Home, you can set reminders and receive notifications. You can also monitor charging sessions.
- You will get notifications once the car is fully recharged, and for station availability as well.
Also Read: 12 Innovative Urban Transportation Apps
The Chargemap app provides access to a vast network of over 500,000 charging points throughout Europe. It offers real-time updates and images from the EV community. The app is compatible with Android devices and iOS 12.0 or later versions where it costs $14.99 for the premium yearly subscription. The app also works with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, making it easy to use on your EV dashboard.
It has made its way onto the list of the best Europe based EV apps to use, offering outstanding features and functionality given below:
- With Chargemap, you can conveniently filter charging stations and view rates exclusively for operational stations that support the Chargemap Pass.
- The app helps to plan hassle-free trips by selecting the ideal route based on your specific vehicle model and battery level.
- With Chargemap Pass, you can see the cost of charging upfront and access all your charging costs in the app.
4. Electro Maps
Electro Maps boasts one of the best EV charging apps in Europe, offering over 410,000 charging points. â The app allows you to access comments, ratings, pictures, and information shared by the community. It is available for free download on both Android and iOS devices (compatible with iOS 14.0 or later versions).
With Electro Maps, you can get the following benefits:
- You can find charging stations near you using the real-time availability features.
- You can start charging sessions effortlessly with a simple tap. Based on your requirement, you can select fast or slow charging options and monitor their session history.
- Electro Maps provides convenient payment options with the app throughout Europe. Additionally, you can easily track and manage your old and new invoices.
With Clever’s app, you can easily find the nearest station on Denmark’s largest charging network. You can use this app in other places across Europe as well. It is listed as one of the best EV charging apps in Europe for Android and iOS devices, requiring iOS 15.0 or later versions.
Here are the features of the Clever app:
- You can find the available Clever charging stations and select them based on power level i.e. standard, fast or ultra-fast.
- You can simply start and stop charging directly from the app.
- You have the option to choose plug types compatible with your EV.
- You can make payments using Apple Pay as well as credit cards.
If you are a Clever customer, you can avail of some extra benefits:
- If you are using Clever’s network, you can easily start the charging process.
- With this EV charging app, you can keep track of your total energy usage per subscription, giving details on both home and on-the-go charging.
- You can use a digital copy of your Clever charge key for seamless access and take advantage of a fast Clever home charging device.
Also See: 7 Lightest Folding Electric Bike
The Bonnet app connects over 85,000 EV chargers across 20+ popular networks in Europe. It helps you find the best charger for your needs using the charging map. The app is compatible with Android and iOS devices requiring 14.5 or newer versions.
The features are as follows:
- You can filter charging stations based on your suitable location, a price that you can afford, and the car model you have.
- â You can start charging with a simple press of a button and select your desired charging speed.
- The app provides real-time status updates and checks station availability. It also gives live support 7 days a week.
- There is automated billing for hassle-free payment and you can avail of discounts and promotions. You can earn charging credit and also save up to 15% on every charge.
- With the Premium subscription, you can plan your trip and avoid unusable chargers.
This EV route planner is one of the best EV charging apps in Europe that has charging assistant options to find the ideal station. With WattsUp, you can customize your needs, ensuring that only required charge points get displayed. The app is free and compatible with Android and iOS 14.0 or later versions.
The key features of WattsUp are:
- With this app, you can stay informed with real-time updates on distance and charger statuses while driving to your destination.
- It can easily find the nearest rapid chargers based on your current location.
- It gives comprehensive charger information with all details about rapid chargers from most operators.
- The app finds suitable connectors for specific vehicles, ensuring compatibility.
- Wattup also helps electric vehicle drivers with reliable route planning and a wide range of rapid charging options.
Also Read: 10 Things to Know Before Buying an E Bike
Optiwatt app can help you save money by optimizing EV charging based on the cheapest rates. This helps you save money and reduce environmental impact. It works with any car charger or plug. Moreover, it has been one of the best EV charging apps in Europe for iOS devices, requiring iOS 11.0 or later versions. You can also run it on Android gadgets to effectively track charging costs.
The main attributes of Optiwatt are:
- It offers smart charging synced to your energy rate. By tracking your home meter and connecting your smart thermostat, you can further reduce costs and manage your energy usage efficiently.
- Optiwatt helps maximize the lifespan of the battery and ensures optimal battery performance.
Zap-Map is another app that is listed among the best EV charging apps in Europe. It helps you find electric vehicle chargers, providing a wide range of options and information on the type and cost of charging devices. You must have iOS 13.0 or a newer version installed on your Apple device in order to use the app. It also works on Android devices.
The benefits of using this app are:
- With Zapmap, you can pay for charging across different stations, making the process simple and hassle-free.
- You can put it on your EV dashboard and check the real-time status of chargers.
- The route planner assists you in planning your trips by identifying suitable charging stops along the way. The map will guide you to the next available chargers and the app estimates how long you will need to charge.
Furthermore, Zapmap offers two premium subscription options: Zapmap Plus and Zapmap Premium. Both subscription plans offer enhanced features to assist you in finding and paying for available charging options.
- With Zapmap Plus, you can filter information for new charge points and multi-charger locations, access user ratings and enjoy an ad-free experience.
- Zapmap Premium also allows you to locate charge points, access route plans, and view live charge point status through your in-car dashboard.
10. EV8 Switch
This application simplifies the process of transitioning to an electric vehicle and helps you discover options that suit your needs. The Switchability Score assesses these conditions to analyze if it aligns with your lifestyle and driving habits. The score also highlights potential financial savings and reductions in CO2 emissions, that you could achieve by switching to an EV. EV8 Switch is free and available as one of the best EV charging apps in Europe for iOS (iOS 10.0 or later), and it works on Android devices as well.
Here are the key points of the EV8 Switch:
- After completing the registration process and feeding all the required details, the app can track the trip to understand your driving habits.
- To get personalized data and recommendations, you need to collect two weeks of driving and journey data.
- The app uses your driving data to calculate the cost and environmental advantages of transitioning to an EV.
- It also tells you about the frequency of charging and assists you in finding charge points located along your routes.
The app charges your electrical vehicle with the most affordable and eco-friendly electricity available in your area. You can save some bucks on your utility bills by utilizing the cheapest charging options. Here with ev.energy, you can save more with the Only Charge Off-Peak setting. The app has been also recognized as one of the best EV charging apps in Europe for Android and iOS 13.0 or newer versions. The premium options are available in monthly or yearly subscriptions, available on in-app purchases.
The ev.energy app offers a variety of important features, including:
- You can access public charging at over 2900 locations and track your charging sessions.
- With this app, you can easily monitor your energy usage, costs, savings, and emissions in one location.
- You can also optimize your charging to reduce costs and carbon emissions automatically.
- Opting for smart charging techniques can help you earn some extra rewards.
- You must ensure added security for your compatible home charger by conveniently locking it directly from the app.
- The ev.energy app is compatible with leading electric vehicle and EV charger manufacturers.
With the Osprey app, you can explore its nationwide network. The app is also free to download on Android and requires iOS 13.0 or later for Apple devices.
The Osprey EV charging app offers the following key features:
- After signing up, you can locate and access the Osprey charging points. â
- With this app, you can navigate easily and find the nearest rapid charger on its network.
- You can track the charging history and monitor real-time status.
- Access the VAT receipts for your records and you can enjoy the convenience of contactless payment on every rapid charger.
- You have to pay a flat rate of 79p per kWh with no additional fees through the Osprey app.
13. Supercharger for Tesla & EV
Among the best EV charging apps in Europe, it has access to the largest fast-charging network with over 45,000 Superchargers owned and operated by Tesla. It is free on Android and Apple devices where it requires iOS 13.0 or newer versions to run smoothly.
The Supercharger for Tesla & EV app provides the following advantages:
- You can find the Supercharger charging stations based on availability.
- The â Trip Planner feature collects your driving data and calculates the best route with Superchargers along the way as per your requirements.
- You have the option to personalize the map according to your preferences and monitor the charging speed. You can also choose the type of EV charge and the particular port type you prefer.
- The app regularly adds new Supercharger stations and implements new updates.
Additionally, it is important to mention that Ford and General Motors (GM) are collaborating with Tesla’s charging network to enhance the electric vehicle infrastructure. It is highly possible that these collaborations will become fully operational in the near future, bringing substantial benefits to electric car owners.
14. EV Hotels
This is one of the best Road trip planning tools for drivers seeking hotels with EV charging facilities. The EV Hotels app is available for a cost of $2.99 and is compatible with iOS 14.5 or later versions. It is compatible with Android devices as well.
EV Hotels is different from traditional public EV charging stations and offers these features:
- The app specifically identifies hotels that offer EV chargers. It provides access to a database of over 25,000 EV hotels and 100,000 roadside charging stations.
- You can also customize the map based on your preferences.
- With this app, you can filter the options and find hotels that have compatible charging options such as suitable plug types and adaptors.
- It can guide you to find hotels that are within walking distance of public roadside charging stations.
15. A Better Routeplanner (ABRP)
A Better Routeplanner (ABRP) is an app that offers a user-friendly experience for you to plan, explore, and envision electric vehicles. To access ABRP, your device must have iOS 13.0 or a newer version installed. It also works on Android devices.
Some of its key features are:
- With the help of this app, you can generate a comprehensive trip plan that includes charging stops and estimated trip duration. You just have to choose the electric vehicle model and feed your destination details.
- While driving an electric car, you can switch to the ABRP mode for real-time navigation. You can adjust and replan your route as needed.
- You will receive notifications to keep you informed about updates related to your trip.
- You can trust the app’s compatibility with all major EV models available in the market, ensuring it meets all the specific requirements of an EV.
JustPark offers a simple solution for parking and charging your vehicle. With millions of UK drivers already using their app, you can easily find and reserve parking spaces as per your requirements. The app is free and compatible with both Android and Apple devices (iOS 14.0 or later versions).
The JustPark app includes the following benefits:
- The app gives access to thousands of driveways and over a million parking spaces. You can book them for any duration, from a short time period to an entire month.
- You can manage and track your bookings easily through the app. You can feed timings, add vehicles, and save invoices.
- You can choose from multiple chargers and easily charge your electric car using the JustCharge network.
- Moreover, the renters can also benefit and make money by listing their parking or EV charging spaces.
Note: These applications are very helpful tools that are constantly evolving by adding new features.
To conclude, the availability of the best EV charging apps in Europe has made it easier for EV drivers to find the nearest available chargers. As these apps provide an extensive database of charging stations, they now play a vital role in promoting sustainability among owners of electric vehicles.
Recommended: What Kind of Chargers can Mach-E Use?