With the advent of solar energy, there are numerous effective and interesting solar products in the market. Solar lights are portable solar fixtures that include photo-voltaic solar panels, rechargeable batteries, and LED lamps. Solar light uses the sun’s energy to produce light. These lights require batteries for their operation and in this article, you will learn about the best rechargeable batteries for solar lights.
8 Best Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
The market has a variety of options available, each battery possessing different & unique features. Thus, people often fall into a dilemma and contemplate which one to buy. The following factors will help you differentiate the best solar light batteries for you:
1. Battery Capacity: Every solar battery has a different capacity rate. You need to select one that has the maximum capacity to draw sufficient power during its usage. To determine the ideal battery capacity you need, calculate the average output of a battery and then multiply it by the number of days you want it to work, without recharging.
2. Battery Durability: The batteries for solar lights must be able to tackle magnetic fields, vibration, humidity, temperatures, and other external factors without affecting their performance; so search for one that caters to these issues.
3. Battery Shelf Life: Different brands have solar batteries with different shelf lives. To ensure long-term use, select a battery that provides the best shelf life & charge cycle.
4. Safety: Batteries are required to endure high temperatures and pressure without exploding or causing failure. The best rechargeable batteries for solar lights come with safety certification. The manufacturers need to adhere to these government-mandated safety requirements.
5. Chemistry: Batteries are all about chemistry and thus it is an important factor you need to consider while purchasing one. Different materials possess different properties. You must understand how each material works to increase the battery’s life span and potential. To make the right choice and understand the best combination, do sufficient research on batteries. Or else, simply read our list below!
1. NiMH Rechargeable AA Battery for Solar Lights
Minetom is a pretty popular brand of batteries. It usually offers rechargeable AA batteries for solar lights. These batteries provide decent battery backup and have a capacity rating of 1300 mAh. The best thing about these batteries is that you get a total of 12 of these in a box. They also have a decent price. You also get one year warranty on these but their total charge cycles are a bit low in comparison to other batteries in the market.
2. EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
EBL batteries offer the largest battery pack size and have a long battery rating. In their box, you will find a total of 20 batteries in the box which is quite high. Each battery in this pack has a decent battery backup which is rated at 1100 mAh. The unique feature of these batteries is that they come with a battery-carrying case.
3. Tenergy AA Rechargeable Battery Pack for Solar Lights
Tenergy offers a slightly lower price than other rechargeable aa batteries for solar lights. This is for people who are on a tight budget. The Tenergy batteries provide you with a decent number of 12 batteries in the box. These batteries have a capacity of 1000 mAh and a 1-year long warranty.
Also Read: Top 30+ Renewable Energy Companies in India
4. RELIGHTABLE AA NiCd Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
The Relightable brand usually produces the best rechargeable batteries for solar lights that have high longevity. The pack size of Relightable is quite larger than others. You will find a total of 20 batteries in a box. However, these batteries have a 600 mAh capacity which is very low and thus these batteries have poor battery life. These batteries don’t even have any kind of warranty.
5. GEILIENERGY Solar Light AA Ni-CD 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries
Geilienergy is yet another brand of batteries that you can use for solar lights. It offers a lot of batteries in a pack. You will find around 20 batteries in a box which is pretty decent considering the price point. Their capacity rating is 600 mAh and thus they lack in terms of battery life. However, they have a 2-year warranty.
6. POWEROWL Rechargeable AA Batteries Solar Lights
The batteries from Powerowl offer high-performance batteries but are a bit expensive. These batteries have a battery capacity of 2800 mAh. You get around 12 batteries in this company’s box. Moreover, these batteries have a 3-year warranty. They are also highly durable and reliable.
Also Read: How to Fix Solar Light Sensor
7. KINSUN 8-Pack Rechargeable Battery Solar Garden Light
Kinsun is a smaller brand of batteries for solar lights and it offers batteries at a decent price tag. These batteries have a decent battery capacity of 900 mAh, it’s not that high but is good enough for you. The pack size of these batteries is a bit small, there are 8 batteries in a box. The brand offers a 1-year warranty on these batteries. Also see How Long Do Solar Generators Last?
8. HENREEPOW Ni-MH AA Rechargeable Batteries
HENREEPOW brand usually provides rechargeable AA batteries for solar lights. Their Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries have a capacity rating of 1300 mAh and offer strong performance. These batteries can be charged using solar cell lights or standard charging units. They are long-lasting, reliable, and safe. They come with rechargeable times of up to 1200 times. In this company’s box, there are 12 batteries and they have a 1-year warranty. These batteries are compatible with various AA batteries compatible electric devices like keyboards, microphones, calculators, mouse, remote control, or toys. After this, let’s see- can I use energizer rechargeable batteries for solar lights?
How Do Solar Lights Work?
Solar lights function on the principle of the photovoltaic effect. It has three components- photo-voltaic solar panels, rechargeable batteries, and LED lamps. The panels absorb sunlight with the help of solar cells. These cells then convert the solar energy into direct electrical current which via a charge controller is stored in the solar batteries. A single solar cell can produce a maximum of 0.45 volts. The current generated depends on two factors- the amount of sunlight striking the solar panel ad the size of the cell.
Also Read: Best Solar Powered Calculators
What Kind of Rechargeable Batteries Do Solar Lights Use?
Solar lights are eco-friendly and budget-friendly infusion to outer lighting devices. These lights use internal rechargeable batteries as these batteries need no wiring. These 3 types of batteries are mostly used in solar lights:
1. Nickel-Cadmium Batteries
These AA-size batteries need be to replace in one or two years. The NiCads are best for outer solar-light exertion as they are robust enough. They have an extended life and quite a high power capacity. But there is a major con of these batteries, cadmium is considered toxic.
2. Nickel-Metal Hydride Batteries
These batteries have an extended life expectancy of around 3-8 years and they also allow higher voltage. Unlike NiCads, they are pretty attentive toward the ecosystem.
The NiMH batteries may become inappropriate or may ruin a few solar lights. Before choosing NiMH batteries, make sure to confirm that the solar light is capable to charge them.
3. Lithium-Ion Batteries
These batteries are very popular for green applications and solar power. Their energy density is twice tight in comparison to NiCads. Moreover, they also need compact maintenance. They have a short lifespan compared to the other two batteries and they are also highly vulnerable to temperature concerns.
Can I Use Energizer Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights?
Yes, you can use energizer rechargeable batteries for solar lights. Although the mass batteries will work well for a period of time but shifting to NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batteries for your solar lights will be a wise decision. They provide long-term performance.
Most solar lights come with very stubby and inexpensive mAh Nicad cells which when properly charged generate close to 1.2v. On the other hand, energizer rechargeable batteries like NiMH cells produce around 1.4v when properly charged. If your solar panels obtain proper light, these batteries will light up throughout the whole night. Now that you have acquired to answer of can I use energizer rechargeable batteries for solar lights, let’s further learn about AAA rechargeable batteries solar lights.
What are AAA Rechargeable Batteries Solar Lights?
After learning- can I use energizer rechargeable batteries for solar lights or not, let’s explore AAA batteries. The AAA rechargeable batteries have a longer lifespan and create less waste. They are also cost-efficient. Most AAAs have a capacity rating of 1,100 and they run at 1.2 V. The Geilenergy brand produces AAA rechargeable batteries solar lights. They have a pack of 12 batteries with 1.2V and 600 mAh. They use the power of sunlight to recharge and they are also very easy to install. Also, read How to Use Solar Panel Directly Without Battery?
What are Dangers of Using Non-Rechargeable Batteries in Solar Lights?
After learning about AAA rechargeable batteries solar lights, let’s learn about the dangers of using non-rechargeable batteries in solar lights-
- Permanent system failure: The alkaline batteries don’t have the capability of storing collected charge. In the future, this can lead to charging problems as well as irreversible system damage.
- Unreliable Performance: The regular batteries aren’t designed for solar lighting units and thus don’t expect a smooth performance from them.
- Terminal Corrosion: Regular batteries can corrode the battery terminal of your solar lights as these batteries drain rapidly. If the corrosion happens, the connection between the battery and its terminals can get disrupted which can block power from the battery to reaching the light.
- Warranty Cancellation: The warranty of the solar lights can be voided if you use the wrong batteries in them. Although, solar lights come with warranties these warranties don’t cover damage caused by wrong battery usage.
Moving towards green energy devices is an appreciable step. Solar light is one of the many devices present in the market. It has a certain system that helps its functioning and a rechargeable battery is a very important part of this system. Choose the best rechargeable batteries for solar lights from Kinsun 8-Pack Rechargeable Battery Solar Garden Light, Henreepow Ni-MH AA Rechargeable Batteries and the ones listed above, as per your requirements & safety recommendations.
Recommended: What is Pulsar Solar Watch?